Day care centers in high schools?

All over the news I am hearing all about how teen pregnancies are on the rise and are the highest in a decade.  Lots of issues are being blamed.  Some people argue that it is because abstinence is being taught in place of birth control and other people say it is because parents are not around as much these days to teach their kids.  My opinion is that these things are just more accepted today.  It is everywhere.  We are living in a very sexualized culture.  Television shows like The Secret Life of an American Teenager make things like this seem not so bad.  Teenage role models like Jamie Lynn Spears are making it seem okay.  High schools with day care centers, I mean, really?  I also think that teaching your kids right from wrong goes a long way, but why does society have to make it so acceptable?  What do you think?  Should we make it that easy and have day care centers provided in our high schools?

{ 10 comments }

Joey @ Big Teeth and Clouds January 28, 2010 at 5:42 pm

I think there’s no substitute for parental involvement. We had a girl when I was in school that got pregnant in the 10th grade. I think that was very preventable if her mother had even a passing interest in what the girl was doing.

The Girl Next Door Grows Up January 28, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Absolutely not! That is like saying it is okay! Plus then the kids see the cute babies and may want one in their own tiny little warped minds!!!

Scary!

Crayon Wrangler January 29, 2010 at 6:07 am

I think it is lack of understanding of what a mother is by not being mothered themselves. They have a misguided perception that mothering actually requires no hands-on and can be done at their convienence.

I say put these teenagers in the day care since they apparently need to still be raised!

Found you through the MBC and love your format and questions.

Melissa B. January 29, 2010 at 2:13 pm

After the week I’ve had, I think Teenage Day Care is in order. SITS sent me by, and I’m glad they did!

Beyond the Outer Limits

Rachel January 29, 2010 at 2:17 pm

The other night my husband and I watched The Pregnancy Pact on Lifetime. I couldn’t believe that these girls thought this was OK, that it was going to be so easy. I also couldn’t believe that the board paid for an in school day care center instead of addressing the real problem.

Although, this movie was disturbing, I see both sides of the problem. Yes, I think that a day care in schools does not help the problem. It makes it easier for these young girls when really, they should be hit with the reality of their decision.

On the other hand, my cousin had her first child at the tender age of 13. She was 12 when she got pregnant. Her son is now 10 years old and she is a happily married Mother of three, finishing nursing school. Her parents helped her as much as they could and provided her with what she needed so she could finish school and make a future for her self. I am not saying that this is right by any means. It was very hard for our whole family. However, she had to oppurtuity to finish school and that gave her and her children the best options for their future.

So it’s a win/lose situation. These kids are growing up too fast and yes they are having babies. If family can’t help them… who will? Do they drop out of school or do the schools offer the child care to help futher the education of these young Mothers?

And yes, I do think it falls back on parenting. Even with my cousin, my Aunt and Uncle tried to be the friend more than the parent. These kids have got to know the consequences to their actions. It’s up to us as parents to educate them on the facts.

Rachel January 29, 2010 at 2:18 pm

BTW, SITS sent me by….

Lindsay Rudolph January 29, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I don’t know what is going on, but it scares me. Have you watched The Pregnancy Pact on Lifetime? Just watched it last night. Maybe these girls just want to act all grown up and think being a mom, like the little Spears girl, is cool? Maybe they think babies are just so cute and it’s all going to be full of fun? Who knows! My daughter is almost 2 and I am already thinking of how to teach her about sex, boys, her future and all that stuff.

WordyDoodles January 30, 2010 at 4:23 am

I saw this title and thought “oh crap.” I had just heard something on the news the other night about teen pregnancy being on the rise.

All I can say is, we absolutely have to teach prevention and teach these girls AND boys the consequences of their actions BEFORE they start having sex. By consequences I don’t just mean pregnancy, but also the impact on their friendships, relationships, future work life/earnings, future home life, traveling, college, etc.

That said, once it’s happened, we need to do everything we can to support the teen mom’s choices, to keep her in school as long as possible, to make sure she gets proper prenatal care, etc. Every parent knows how hard childcare issues are, and that’s as “grownups.” If there’s caring support there, that would be good for the mom and baby.

I really don’t think it would encourage others to HAVE babies, especially when they see how much work it is– while they’re having lunch and gossiping, their teen mom peer has to go to the daycare to care for her child. Actually, probably takes some of the fantasy out of it and injects the tough reality.

Dalia (Generation X Mom) January 30, 2010 at 12:41 pm

After reading Wordydoodles comment it made me think of another aspect of this problem. She is very right that kids need to be taught the consequences of this way before they start having sex. The thing is these days kids are apparently having sex way earlier. I think that parents don’t want to believe that this could really be happening and so are not teaching their kids the consequences of this until a later age. We have to realize the unfortunate truth that kids are having sex earlier than our generation did. Everything is getting earlier and we need to start moving our teaching and talks earlier too. Thanks for all the opinions. I really enjoy seeing what everyone thinks!

Anonymous January 30, 2010 at 3:16 pm

When schools begin to take in children, something is wrong with the system. First, we want the teen back in school but options other than high school daycares; like sitters, family, church, etc. If none of that exists then perhaps the teen must learn a lesson and take courses at home to get their GED without the fun of high school.

Previous post: