Mother sues preschool – too much play

Maybe I am a bit sheltered living where I do in my simple little life, but when I heard about this woman who is suing her child’s preschool calling it “a big playground” I almost choked on my lunch.

You have got to be kidding.

This mother in New York says her 4-year-old’s preschool didn’t provide the competitive edge she needs to get into an elite elementary school.

From the article, “A toddler who takes the wrong first step could ultimately trip up his or her chances for acceptance into an Ivy League college and for earning a higher income“.

Huh?  And I was glad when my daughter came out of preschool knowing how to spell, Mom.

I guess for $19,000 annual tuition you expect more.  Yes – $19,000 – read more about it here.

Do you think this mother is crazy or is she right in expecting more?

{ 12 comments }

Alexandra March 21, 2011 at 8:29 am

Oh, yes…definitely crazy.

Think of that poor child…the expectations! The mom probably never just lets her play…it always has to be play with an objective.

And her friends? She’s probably only allowed “acceptable” companionship with those that will improve her standing.

Poor child.

mommymommymommy March 21, 2011 at 10:31 am

It is just a sin. A real sin. Can you see the problems this child will have in the future having a mom like this?
mommymommymommy´s last [type] ..Save Money With Birthday Parties at Home

The Step In Mom March 21, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Well this Mother is a freaking moron for paying $19K to send her kid to pre-school… with that said, how does she know her child wouldn’t be ready to take that test? She didn’t let her stay there very long.

All in all it is a pretty sad situation, and she shouldn’t get her money back, maybe this will teach her to worry about her child being a CHILD, and not prepping her for college already. It isn’t like she was stuck in the corner eating glue… maybe she was playing with the 2 year olds learning shapes and colors ect. because she hadn’t mastered those topics yet?

gigi March 21, 2011 at 1:51 pm

This would be funny if it wasn’t so sad, right? Ugh, that poor kid.
gigi´s last [type] ..Why I Applied To Be A SITS Girl

Joey @ Big Teeth & Clouds March 21, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I’m not sure what you’d want a child to be doing for that kind of tuition, but she sounds like a fool for paying that much and then being pissed about it!
Joey @ Big Teeth & Clouds´s last [type] ..A false sense of security

Melissa (Confessions of a Dr.Mom) March 22, 2011 at 12:06 am

CRAZY indeed. Both the expectations from the poor child and the outrageous tuition. Ugh.
Melissa (Confessions of a Dr.Mom)´s last [type] ..Great ExpectationsOn Childbirth and Bonding

Heather Mundell March 22, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Play is what preschoolers are supposed to do! It develops their brains and social skills.

As for paying (or charging!) $19K for preschool, I think it just shows how preschools (and many other industries) can capitalize on parents’ insecurities. Totally outrageous.

Kelly March 23, 2011 at 12:06 am

I guess if you pay that much, you expect some return on the investment.

But who the heck pays that much?! I get mad that my $50/week (for 2 days) preschool isn’t academically challenging, but then I remember that my child is 3. There’s no rush.
Kelly´s last [type] ..Beary- Beary Happy

Niki March 23, 2011 at 1:19 am

Ridiculous! There are some people I just will never understand.
Niki´s last [type] ..Sleepy Shoe Shopping with a Picky Pre-teen

Betsy at Zen Mama March 24, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I work at a play based preschool. There is no doubt that this is the best way for children (probably of all ages) to learn. Some people have too much money. They should try walking in other people’s shoes and then see how they feel.

Haven’t been to your site in a while! It’s still great! Looking forward to reading some more!

Linda Carmical March 31, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Hi, love your blog and your views. I just followed your blog and you on Twitter. :-)
When I first started reading your post my first thought was “what tha?!”, but then I read further in the original article. I have to say since (and if) the school’s sales pitch indeed promises what this mother states in the lawsuit, then kudos to her for calling them out on it and holding them to their promise.

“Imprescia said she heard the school’s sales pitch and was hooked by the promise it would help Lucia on her E.R.B, a standardized test used for admission to the city’s most competitive public and private kindergartens.

But instead of prepping Lucia to nail the test by the time she was four, York Avenue “dumped” her with children as young as two who were learning about shapes and colors, the lawsuit said.”

Do I think what she is doing is extreme? Maybe, but maybe not too; it’s hard to say based solely on something the news reports. (They always tell it straight, right? LOL) After all, this is her child she’s fighting for. She thought she put her child in the hands of a preschool who would help her child excel and improve their chances of getting into a good school. I can’t say I wouldn’t fight just as hard for my child. Especially if my intentions were to place my child in the best preschool offering an exceptional learning experience. I may fill I was mislead and my expectations as a paying customer were not met. :-)
Linda Carmical´s last [type] ..Sites- Blogs- Forums- Tags- Categories- Keywords – What Are They

Kristin @ Preschool Universe July 31, 2011 at 12:09 am

You make some great points Linda. The school was setting itself up for lawsuits from pushy parents if they promised Ivy League results.

While some parents may think success is measured in prestigious degrees and huge salaries, I contend that it is better measured in happiness and fulfillment. People, and families, are just different in what they expect from their kids.
Kristin @ Preschool Universe´s last [type] ..Math & Science Activities: Graphing with Preschoolers

Previous post: